Candle Making Safety
While melting wax may seem relatively straight-forward, you can avoid accidents and enjoy the fun of candle making by carefully observing a few safety tips:
- NEVER LEAVE MELTING WAX UNATTENDED. Make it a habit to constantly monitor the temperature of your wax. If wax reaches its flash point vapors become flammable. Since the flash point of wax is typically above 300°, you’ll always be safe by never exceeding 200º.
- ALWAYS USE A WATER POT. A water pot helps distribute heat and allows for more stable temperatures. Never melt wax directly on your stove.
- AN ELECTRIC HEAT SOURCE IS RECOMMENDED. If you accidentally over heat your wax, electric heat with no open flame, is less likely to ignite. Careful temperature monitoring will ensure a safe, fun experience no matter what heat source is used to melt your wax.
- USING SAFETY GLASSES IS ADVISED. This helps prevent splatters to the eyes.
- ALWAYS USE A THERMOMETER. Use it to monitor your wax temperature.
- ALWAYS HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER WITHIN REACH. Review the instructions on the fire extinguisher to familiarize yourself with proper operation. For small wax fires, use something like a pot lid to smother the fire. Never use water to extinguish a wax fire. Liquid wax behaves much the same way as oil, and therefore needs to be treated like an oil fire.